Wednesday, February 17, 2010

EMOlymipics. No big deal.

Is it the national beauty, coast to coast?
The feeling of a hope-filled nation united?

The unanimous glory of gold reverberating across Canada?
The melodious voices singing the national anthem?
The fact that I will never be an Olympian, cheered on by 43 million patriots?


Whatever the reason(s) may be, am I the only one feeling uncharacteristically emotional during the Olympics?? Whether I'm watching a Canadian's gold medal finish, hearing thousands belt out the national anthem, or watching an immigrant family come to Canada, I get weepy. That's right. A Tim Hortons commercial got the best of me. Possibly because it's more subtle with product placement and strategically pulls you in with the story of a reunited family... Okay so it's not as emotionally compelling as "She's Come Undone" (great novel, check it!). I guess I have been infected by the emolympics. I think this first viral attack came during the medal ceremonies, where Alexandre Bilodeau received his gold - Canada's first at home. I swear, no matter how out of tune or technically unmelodious, the Canadian national anthem never sounded more beautiful than when it's being belted out by thousands of Canadians.

I do have to specify, though, that it's not winning gold that moves me, but the energy and pride it brings to Canada. I hated hearing all the hype around Canada's "shameful" performance at previous Olympic games, never having won gold on home soil. I didn't, and still don't, believe it helped the athletes perform. What I do BELIEVE is that it hindered performances, raised expectations to an unnecessary level, and promoted the wrong sense of patriotism among our nation.

It also pushed other Canadian athletes and medalists to the wayside. Jenn Heil's silver-winning moguls run was nowhere near as celebrated as Alexandre Bilodeau's golden win. She was the first Canadian medalist and, yet, when I Google which Canadian won the first medal at the 2010 Olympics, there are 6 entries about Bilodeau until it finally mentions Heil's accomplishment. Even SHE didn't look proud to have placed! How infuriating! Being a baby winning silver is WAY worse than not winning gold. You just won Canada's first medal. Be an example for your country and be proud of your amazing talent and hard work, otherwise no one else will.

To all Canadian athletes
- as a Canadian, a sports enthusiast, and admirer of your dedication, I thank you for all your efforts and amazing achievements! Gold, silver, bronze, or just improving your standing, you train hard and compete fearlessly against the best of the world. You are inspiring. I wouldn't be all emo if you weren't... Sniff.

No comments:

Post a Comment