Friday, February 5, 2010

Pobody's Nerfect. No big deal.

The criticism plaguing Taylor Swift and her off-key performance at the Grammy's has opened up an interesting debate thanks to Swift's label CEO, Scott Borchetta. In Swift's defense Borchetta stated:
"Maybe she’s not the best technical singer, but she’s probably the best emotional singer because everybody else who gets up there and is technically perfect, people don’t seem to want more of it."
As much as this is her profession (and passion, obviously) I understand the inevitable scrutiny when a singer is not pitch perfect. However, I dare anyone to admit they have never made a mistake at work. It's human to have imperfect moments. It's also the media's job to pounce on the juicy carcass of failure. I've learned to accept both.

Having said that, I do have to address Borchetta's statement. It seems nonsensical and sounds like a desperate attempt to distract everyone's attention from the actual issue. Sure, the performance wasn't perfect, but I think she has enough live material to prove she can, in fact, sing on key. Can't we just be adults and own up to this? We don't need to get into an emotional philosophical romp about what feelings people want to feel from their artists. Admittedly, I want my favourite artists to sing in key, but if they make a mistake along the way I'm not going to delete them from my iPod. After all, if they couldn't sing I wouldn't be a fan in the first place. Fans and critics are all people indulged in the music industry for one reason or another. Fans will forgive. Media will spotlight the mistakes. Anyone else who's interested will make a decision based on any number of qualities: technicality, emotion, genre, lyrics. I don't doubt Borchetta is more than knowledgeable when it comes to the music industry, but the argument seems a bit off. Regardless, I would hope the fans Swift, or any artist, wants are those who would support them through every success and any failure.

To read the full article just click!
Scott Borchetta comes to Swift's Defense

1 comment:

  1. Swift needs to a eat a couple of ding-dongs. I wonder what her vocal coach Brett Manning has to say about all this? Could you research that for me?

    ReplyDelete